Export the communication settings from the group that you would like to add the client and rename it to 'sylink.xml'
1. Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console.
2. Go to the Clients page.
3. Right-click the desired group (e.g. Default group) and choose 'Export communications settings'.
4. Click Browse, and choose a convenient location to save the file.
5. Rename the file to sylink.xml.
6. Click 'Export'.
Import the sylink.xml using SylinkDrop.exe.
This tool is located in the installation folder. By default for 64 bit machines its in :
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<current_install_build_number>\Bin\SylinkDrop.exe' and 32 bit machines it is in 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<current_install_build_number>\Bin'
Locate it and double click on it. Browse the location where you have copied the sylink.xml file.
Once it is completed you will have the success message.
Import the sylink.xml within the client by
- Open SEP client ->Help > Troubleshooting > Click on Import under 'Management' under Communication Settings.
2. Now browse the sylink.xml file that you have copied and open it.
Note: Please note that you will not be able to use 'Import' if the client is a managed by server (managed clients). You can change this settings by editing the 'Client user interface control settings' to 'client control' under 'Location-specific settings'.
It is still possible to manually replace the sylink.xml file, however in order to do so Tamper Protection must first be disabled. This can be done on the client by going to 'Change Settings' > Click 'Configure Settings' under 'Client Management' > 'Tamper Protection' (Tab) > Then uncheck the box that says 'Protect Symantec security software from being tampered with or shut down'.
Once tamper protection is disabled:
- Stop the SMC service by going to Start > Run > type in > smc -stop.
- Once the service is stopped copy the sylink.xml file from the new SEPM location and on the client side put that sylink.xml file under
"C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<current_install_build_number>\Data\Config"
For Windows 7/2008/vista :
C:\Users\All Users\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<current_install_build_number>\Data\Config
3. Replace the existing file and restart the SMC service with Start > Run > smc -start
Note: You may face 'Access denied' error while trying to replace the sylink. In this case please use sylink dropper as described above or sylink replacer.
- Replace sylink.xml for a group of computer using Symantec utility.
- It is also possible to change the sylink.xml for many SEP clients by using the Sylink Replacer utility. Create support case with Symantec to get this utility or it will be available in the Symantec installation files.
- From SEP 12.1 RU2 onwards we have the inbuilt functionality to replace the communication settings. Use the below method to perform the same.
The clients can be either 11.x or 12.1 (previous version than 12.1.2)